Friday, May 15, 2009

Books

I love books. Since I first learned how, I have been a voracious reader.

For me, books have been gateways to the larger world. They have been a source of inspiration, information and escape. I like them as objects as well. I am always fascinated by the mystery between the covers, the tactile discovery of turning a page to see what's next. I have spent hours of my life in libraries and everywhere I've ever lived, both here and abroad, I've had a library card.

I am no longer an indiscriminate book buyer. At several points in my life I had more books than anything else. I am fortunate to have The Chatham Bookseller, a great used bookstore , in the next town over that has three shelves of books on gardens and landscape design and many more on interiors, graphic design, fine art and just about any other subject I might want to explore. With their greatly reduced prices penciled in on the flyleaf, I've bought more than a few books here.

My design library isn't big since I don't have the room for the hundreds of books I would have if I did. It is carefully edited and often culled when new additions need to find a home on the overstuffed shelves. Some of my favorites are out of print, some are new, some are eye candy coffee table books, some are serious reference books. I'm going to share some of my favorites over the next few weeks.

No comments: