Wednesday, May 27, 2009

White

I started thinking about this when all of my white shrubs bloomed at once this spring. They are supposed to bloom in a kind of sequence. The absence of color was just as, if not more powerful, than a garden full of color.

Just the spireas--lilacs & fothergilla were blooming too

I know the idea is not new, but white has a symbolic power beyond the absence of color and I think it's appropriate for our times.

The staircase at Chanel for the 2009 Haute Couture collection
photo via Chanel

A puff of dandelion seeds (plenty of those around here)

A lace table cloth

Santorini

Nautical ropes

Weathered Picket Fence


Dodecatheon meadia--native and beautiful
Photo via Vanderbilt.edu

White wicker

The White Garden at Sissinghurst
photo via Meade/flickr.com

4 comments:

Chloe said...

Nice pictures. Love the dandelion. I love white amongst the green of spring. There is a fresh, crisp feel to it... my mock orange and abelia are blooming now.

Sarah said...

What a lovely collection of pictures. Really does make you appreciate what white can do in the landscape.

I'd love to see that white garden at Sissinghurst.
Larkwhistle, a garden in Bruce Peninsula, Ontario has one and it's lovely.

I tend to be a little prejudiced against white flowers, (although I love them on shrubs!) and always gravitate towards deep coloured shades, particularly blues and purples, so thanks for this.

Susan aka Miss. R said...

Chloe and Sarah--it's easy to forget simplicity sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Why did you stop?
splendid images