Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Trash or Treasure?

19th Century iron fence remnant for a project

I met a welder at a project today to show him how I wanted the reclaimed 19th century ironwork I specified installed. I bought the pieces last fall in Scranton at Olde Good Thing's incredible salvage yard specifically for this project.

They were leaning against a tree outside of the garage and the crew thought they were garbage and hauled them away. I freaked out when I couldn't find them! There's 2 more pieces beyond these and I will post some photos when the installation is done. I called the contractor and he found them--one piece is now bent and a small piece broke off but can be repaired.

The old cliche is true...one person's junk is another person's treasure.

1 comment:

Jim/ArtofGardening said...

Bummer. I'd have freaked out too. Can't one see these are irreplaceable historic architectural remnants? Actually, in our neighborhood, this is heavy-trash pick up week and there's irreplaceable historic architectural remnants in front of every house on the street.