Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Showhouse Season V, Issue 4.1, The State of Things (con't)

Every designer showhouse I've been involved with suffers from the same malady--too little interdisciplinary/committee/designer cross communication. Yesterday, my entire day was dedicated to solving issues with my garden space that could have been a non-issue had all parties worked with each other from the onset. Let me explain...

As you can see from the site map in Issue 2 of this series, my garden space is tucked away between two adjacent exterior spaces and two corners of the building. I used the consulting landscape architect's site plan to create my original concept. I also checked the boundaries of the garden with his office as well as the appropriate committee members. No one told me that the boundaries of the large garden to the south and the large terrace to the east had changed from what was on the site plan.

Confused? So was I. Those perimeter boundaries were modified on two sides without my knowledge and last week when I videotaped the space it became apparent that what I had designed would not be able to be shoehorned into what was actually the space. ARGHH.

I try to be a team player when it comes to these things...but I am the only one being asked to completely revise my plan. It was obvious to me that the original design would have to be modified to work with the space's new proportions. I didn't radically alter the concept, but everything had to be on a different scale and slightly modified. The double axis would now dead end into the south garden's hedge so that definitely had to go. Paths had to be made narrower, garden areas smaller. I was able to make all but one of the spatial transitions work and I can't really spend any more time on the revision (read: I have paying work to do) so it will have to be resolved on site.

So here's the revised design (click on it to enlarge). It doesn't appear to be changed that much but everything is scaled differently. The good news is I'm going to use a fabulous Steven Snyder bird sculpture as a focal point. More on that next time...

No comments: