Friday, February 22, 2008

#1--Showhouse Season

For the past month, in between winter design work, I've been preparing a show house garden. This biennial charity event, The Mansion in May, is a big deal in my neck of the woods and interior designers and landscape designers/architects are invited to compete for spaces. Why compete? First to support the charity--this year the recipient is the Valerie Center for Children with cancer and blood disorders--a cause close to my heart. Second, it's great exposure to both the 20,000+ people who visit during the month of May.

In January, we were invited to choose a space from a master plan and submit our ideas to the selection committee. Like most sites, there were several sweet spots--not what I was interested in though. Away from the house was ruined rockery that I was immediately drawn to.


I was able to look at some historic photos of the property and found one of two very Edwardian ladies sitting in front of a wildly planted rock garden. Upon closer inspection, the pile revealed some secrets--animal burrows and two parts of a Japanese granite planter. The base is shown below.


I re-imagined the ruined rockery to create a sustainable garden for the 21st century. Lush native and ecologically appropriate non-natives with low water and maintenace requirements, stone sculpture and renewable energy sources are key elements of the overall design. I also wanted to honor the property's past gardeners, collectors and dreamers, so the ultimate design is a fusion of Japanese, Mediteranean and Edwardian influences.

My next post will show the plan and planting scheme.


1 comment:

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Sounds lovely and what a find !
That carved granite piece is spectacular.

I think that fact that you are approaching the installation in a sustainable way will speak well for you/ your firm.

Looking forward to following the development.

Michelle