Wednesday, February 27, 2008

#4--Plants and Problems

I've done a quick CAD color rendering to try and approximate the quantities of plants that I will need to order in the next few weeks. It's difficult since I really have no idea what lies beneath the surface stones, how many stones there are, or how many plants I'll be able to squeeze in between the finished placements. Below is one thing I'm sure of--some long dead tree trunks. If you look closely at the base you'll see that a lame attempt was made at one time to cut that baby down.
I'm sure we'll find other under the debris. I also don't really know how far down the boulders go, this thing's been around for 100+ years at least and the area is known for the unusual large boulders that bygone masons used throughout the property. So, long story short, I can only guess at what I'll need plant wise. Below is an image of how I'm figuring it out.
The area is deer ridden, chipmunk infested and sunbaked. Add to that the May bloom time, the wow factor and my commitment to sustainability and you get the picture.

  • Here's a short list of contenders so far. The trees are decided and I'm going out to a tree farm in Stockton (about an hour from here) to tag them as soon as it thaws abit.
  • These are high up on the list--Euphorbia polychroma, Dianths g. either 'Bath's Pink' or 'Firewitch', Sedum reflexum 'Angelina' and 'Blue Spruce', Phlox subulata 'Emerald Cushion Blue', Teucrium hyranicom 'Purple Tails', Eregrostis spectabilis, Carex morowii 'Ice Dance', Thymus praecox, Salvia nemerosa 'May Night', Sempervivum sp.
  • A little lower down on the list--Santolina sp., Yucca filamentosa (not sure which one), some kind of low growing conifer, some of the other sedums.
As you can see I still have some work to do. I don't want to use any annuals because they won't be able to be re-used after the show is over, so I guess that's another qualification for plants--I have to be able to find new homes for them later in the season.

2 comments:

Deviant Deziner, aka Michelle said...

Susan,
That's a really nice plant palette.
I love all your plant choices and hope that the deer are not as enthused about them as I am !

Have you thought about putting up a temporary fence while the plants are getting rooted ?

I've never done a show house garden. It must have a whole host of problems that the interior garden shows don't have ... ( but then the interior shows have enough problems of their own ! )

It is wonderful reading about the process.
I love the photos too.

One more week until we hit the Cow Palace with our "stage set". Construction for 3 solid night and days and then it opens to the public on March 12 .

Tis' the season I guess .
see you around the bloggersphere .
Michelle

Susan aka Miss. R said...

Thanks, Michelle.

Deer are a constant problem here. Each herd has its preferred delicacies although there is a massive list of plants they all eat!

Planting in a showhouse garden is similar to that of a flower show. As many of the plants as possible are normally left in containers. I can't do that in this garden because the planting pockets are too tight.

Take lots of pix at the Cow Palace during set up! I'm going to give you a shout out in the next post which will be next week some time so read it after you've recooped!