Friday, June 5, 2009

A rose by any other name...

I've started to wonder about my blog name. Few, mostly those with kids, know the wonderful book by Barbara Cooney, Miss Rumphius, and the story behind it. Read it if you can.

Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney

About ten years ago I got all paranoid about using my real name as an identifier on the Landscape Design forum at GardenWeb. Miss Rumphius had been my favorite book to read to my son when he was small and I identified with her as a character--hence the screen name. Most people referred to me as Miss R. I stopped posting at Garden Web shortly after it was taken over by iVillage, but that's another story.

I decided to carry the Miss R moniker over to my blog for no real reason other than people already knew me by that name. Now I wonder if it might not be the best name for what I write about. Miss R's third third rule 'Do something to make the world more beautiful' still is, but the name...maybe not so much.

I have no idea what I'd call my blog other than Miss R, but I'd be interested in what everyone who reads here thinks. Leave a comment and let me know.

9 comments:

Bill Kisich said...

I wouldn't worry about it. Has anyone mentioned it? Rule #3 is awesome and what your blog is about. So no, I wouldn't change it.

Then again, if you're itching for a change you could pick something from A.A. Milne. Just kidding, Susan.

The post verification word: plibeeta.

Lynn said...

Keep it, please. I love it and the story and I don't have kids. It's a perfect name for your blog. And you have branded yourself with it already; it's risky to try to re-brand unless necessary.

sixty-five said...

The name is perfect as it is. I "discovered" you back in the Garden Web days, and was at first puzzled by the name. Then tracked down the wonderful book (I think I must have googled it). Since then I've gifted it to grandchildren and others. What a message!

Laura Livengood said...

I think it fits, even if it doesn't at first suggest the savvy, web2.0 personage behind it! There are few of us with an online brand that goes back that far...work it!

Susan aka Miss. R said...

Bill--Pooh? 100 Acre Wood would be a good name...

Lynn--Thank you. Your new landing page is lovely BTW

Sixty-five--Thanks for reading for so long. I visited your lovely blog.

Laura--Social Media is just another way to communicate...most too short for what I really have to say...

rochelle said...

I love Ms R.....I wouldn't change it...the brand is there don't mess with it!! I sometimes think the same about my own name...not really descriptive...but the history of it I think should prevail.

Alicia B. Designs said...

That was one of my favorite books growing up and consequently have been obsessed with Lupines ever since!

Norbridge Antiques said...

It looks like you have branded the name. It might be best if you stay with it.

EAL said...

It's a great name! I stopped trying to hide my identity on forums and so on a while back, but a great blog name is a different story. You should keep this one.